The New Cathedral and Diocesan Museum at the Historical Museum of the Palatinate
“Cross and Crown"
Starting on September 20, 2022
The redesigned Cathedral and Diocesan Museum collection entitled “Cross and Crown” will be on display at the Historical Museum of the Palatinate starting on September 20. Visitors can look forward to impressive objects from 1000 years of church history as well as new facilities. The collection has moved from the new museum building, where it was on display until August 2021, to the historic old building. The floor plan of the new exhibition space resembles a multiple-bayed church with a transept and trefoil choir, making the old building ideally suited for the presentation of works of religious art.
Objects from various diocesan deaneries will round off the show. These include precious liturgical wares and vestments, some of which will be accessible to the public for the first time ever or the first time again after many years. One particular treasure is a triptych from the chapel of St. Nikolaus Home for Children in Landstuhl, established around 1500. The three panels painted on both sides picture the Nativity and Adoration of the Kings on the front and four large statues of Saints Dorothea, Vitus, Fabian and Margareta on a sumptuous gold background on the backs.
A precious Late Gothic antependium – a richly decorated hanging that adorns an altar – from the former Church of St. louis in Speyer will be on display in the museum for the first time. It features the Trinity of God [JK1]In brilliant colors: God the Father, the Crucified Christ and a dove symbolizing the Holy Spirit surrounded by angels and saints set among richly detailed flora and fauna.
The most valuable objects from the cathedral treasury on display were and still are used for worship services. These include the so-called Lehrbach Chalice, which made its way to Speyer Cathedral as a gift from Count Damian Hugo Philipp of Lehrbach. This golden chalice is set with rock crystal, rubies, diamonds, emeralds and amethysts and decorated with six mother of pearl reliefs showing scenes from the Old Testament.